Christian Dior would have been a rather wrinkled 110 year old man
today, had he not passed away of a heart attack in 1957 (caused by
choking on a fish bone apparently!). Wrinkles, gossip and life
statements aside, we're taking a moment to dust off some
fun-to-know facts about dear Christian Dior.
5 Facts You Didn't Know About Christian...
• In 1928, when Dior was 24, he received money from his wealthy
father to finance a small art gallery, where he and a friend sold
art by the likes of Pablo Picasso.
• Our Christian was terribly superstitious. He wouldn't begin a
show without having consulted his tarot card reader, and in each
show there had to be a model wearing his favourite flowers, lily of
the valley; and in each collection there was always a coat named
after his place of birth, Granville.
• Miss Dior was the first fragrance he ever launched, in 1948.
• When Christian Dior died, unexpectedly in 1957, the creative direction was handed over to 21 year old Yves Saint Laurent.
• It was on 12 February 1947 when Dior launched his first fashion collection for Spring-Summer 1947. It was called "Corolle" and "Huit" and not 'New Look', this was a term assigned later by the editor-in-chief of Harper's Bazaar Carmel Snow when reviewing the show.
The New Look
The New Look - Characterised by a small, nipped-in waist and a full skirt falling below mid-calf length, this silhouette emphasised the bust and hips, as epitomised by the 'Bar' suit from the first collection. At a time of post-war fabric restrictions, Dior used up to twenty yards of extravagant fabrics for his creations